Saturday, February 21, 2009

The loss at Stevenson


(I'm a stickler for chronology; this post is dated 4/24/09)

Their field is at a complex in Owing Mills, MD where the Ravens do or did train in the off season.  There's this springy turf field that would hurt to fall on but be awesome to play on but instead, we get to play on the semi-uneven grassy field right next to it.  

I remember being so excited for this game; it was our season opener and I was all ready.  I was going to put my new music on my iPod for the ride, I had made the girls bows with blue and white ribbons to pin to their stick bags AND I had heart stickers.  The heart stickers were for the girls to wear because they all had so much heart; preseason was a big challenge for our team, being so small (at the time) and our first game out of the gate we were ready to show off all our hard work.  But we were in for a rough battle.

Spring scored the first goal of the game but Stevenson fired back, hard.  We were down 10-2 at the half and came out 15-5.  I had a shot in the beginning of the second half; on goal, but it was saved.  I also had a draw control in the middle of the second half.  I had two turnovers as well.

Playing an away conference game with one of the top 20 programs in the nation as a season opener isn't easy for any team, especially ours. We had a lot of kinks to work out but as time goes on, the girls become more in-sync as our team continues to improve.

After the game we went to Chic-fil-a for dinner--my first time ever!  It was quite an experience; I got a chicken caesar wrap and had it with caesar dressing (I had saved half and eaten it later that night because I had had food from my secret psych or something....)

1 comment: